Monday, January 18, 2010

Dark Monday - New York New York



In 1977, Martin Scorsese released a true labor of love, his movie musical, New York New York, starring Robert De Niro and Liza Minnelli. The soundtrack combined both older songs from the era as well as one written for the movie by the amazing team of John Kander and Fred Ebb. Most of the musical numbers were carried by Minnelli, with an assist from Mary Kay Place and Diahnne Abbott, and a superb group of musicians. It is the story of a musician, played by De Niro, and a singer, played by Minnelli, who meet, fall in love, have a tempestuous relationship, and move on. Liza's version of A Star Is Born, only far more dysfunctional and gritty. This is Liza singing one of my favorite numbers from the movie, And The World Goes 'Round.



The following is the song Happy Endings, which was cut from the movie, sohwing the Broadway success of Minnelli's character, oddly enough discovered as a movie usherette. Although it was cut from the film, the footage was saved and was put back in the film at some point. The 10-minute production number was pretty grand, and just spectacular. Unfortunately, I could only find this 2 minute version of it. Larry Kert costars with Liza in this number. Kert was a major Broadway star - the original Tony in West Side Story - who left us far too soon in 1994, due to complications of AIDS. He was 60 years old.



And, of course, could I post anything from that movie and not run the denouement, the pay-off, Liza singing New York New York, an amazing performance indeed.



You could purchase the 30th Anniversary Edition from Amazon here for just $17.99.

6 comments:

  1. Indeed, what a amazing performance! One of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still need to see this movie. I always forget about it. I'm adding it to my netflix now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my dreams is to meet Liza Manelli - I love her nose! I know that sounds odd - but I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pearly Gates, welcome, and thank you for stopping by.

    Michael, see it, and tell me what you think!

    SteveA, LOL! Hope you meet her, and her nose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howard, I a haven't seen this film yet, but I know I need to. For some reason I've alway put off seeing it. Just added it to the queue. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails