Sunday, November 1, 2009

A Happening In Central Park - 1968



On June 17, 1968, Barbra Streisand held a live concert in Central Park, and feared no one would show up. The little Jewish girl from Brooklyn who was told she was not pretty enough to be a star, no matter how talented she might be, didn't think there would be a crowd. Turns out that was not the case. Well, over 130,000 did, and it was captured on tape for a television special. She opened it with the classic songs More Than You Know/All The Things You Are, here seen as they were cut from the TV show.



When she sings He Touched Me, there is a certain amount of innocence and delight. And, of course, that voice.



Barbra's Happy Days Are Here Again was another standard she managed to make all her own. Once accepted as an uptempo fun song, Barbra owned it as a song of strength and defiance.



Barbra's interpretation of Cry Me A River was rather over the top at the time, for it screamed of sexuality and of a woman with some power to laugh at her man.



If you get the chance, buy or rent the DVD, you shan't be disappointed. You can find it at Amazon here.

5 comments:

  1. I am a fan of Barbra's. I need to watch this entire concert on DVD. I was lucky enough to see her last tour, twice. A dream come true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, I am a fan as well. Can't help it. Just amazing. I have not, however, seen a live performance, so you are the better fan. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am certainly a fan of Barbra. I can't help it. She calls out to me like Circe. No matter what, as long as she keeps singing, I'll be transfixed, heading for the rocks of her island of song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kyle, I hear you. I still love her. Even think her latest album is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the live concert was actually in 1967. I was in NYC on that date in 1968 and no way would I have missed it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails