Thursday, December 31, 2009

REPOST: Worth Another Listen - The Alarm

As part of a year-end review, I will be putting up an occasional repost of the first 6 months of Soundtrack to my Day this week.

the alarm

Back in the day [as the kids say], I wanted nothing more than to rock out with some sanitation-challenged Brits. Yes, a dirty Brit-boy with a guitar made me stop in my tracks. A group of those would be The Alarm, with lead singer Mike Peters. They played flat out stadium Rock, anthems for the ages. These days, I feel like it might be more 'anthems for the aged.'

mike peters,the alarm

Yes, back in the days of big hair and a bigger selection of products, I wanted nothing more than to follow those bands, and work my hair up into a frenzy. Gels, mousse, and Spritz sprays, you name it, it was in my bathroom. And they rocked the music as hard as they rocked the hair. I loved The Alarm. When I saw the video for 68 Guns and for The Stand, I loved them. When I saw Strength, I knew I was in love. My own hair, cut at the Astor Place Barbers, did some wild things.



Last fall, The Alarm put out a new CD, Guerilla Tactics. Old habits die hard, so I had to buy it. I like it, and the boys can still rock it out. I will say when I saw pictures of Mike Peters, I was sorta depressed. He is just a year older than me, and he looked old. Damn the passage of time! Anyway, for the release of the CD, Peters showed up at Times Square in NYC with an acoustic guitar and a videocam, and played some of the songs. I happen to like Love, Hope and Understanding.

4 comments:

  1. I really loved the Alarm back in the day. Love that 80-s stuff. Really, I do. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan, Happy New Year to you, too. And God knows I love the 80s stuff then, and still do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A well deserved re-post. I am a huge fan of the Alarm. Strength; 68 Guns; Rain the Summertime; Presence of Love; Sold Me Down the River - they are all great songs and they show an evolution in the band's music. I think Strength is one of my all time faves!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SteveA, Strength is my favorite, to be sure. LOVE them. Thanks for stopping by and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails