Friday, July 10, 2009

Live Music - Jay Brannan - July 9, 2009

Jay Brannan,Rams Head Jay Brannan,Rams Head
Jay Brannan plays Annapolis

Great show! It was at Rams Head Onstage in Annapolis, MD. I had never been there before, and it was very nice, although a bit on the dark side [Problematic for my pictures, not bad for the show. Actually, even live the performers seemed washed out - can't these places do better lighting?] It took me about an hour and 15 minutes to get there, but because of construction on the Bay Bridge, an extra 15 minutes to get home. That damn thing is 4.3 miles long, and the Delaware bound side was down to one lane of stop-slow traffic. Argh!


The Bay Bridge over the Chesapeake Bay

Sharon Little, a Philadelphia-base singer, opened for Jay. Sharon is an interesting performer, with jazz, blues and rock flavors in what she does. Her strong vocals bring to mind the works of Nina Simone and Janis Joplin, with an occasional hint of Nora Jones in her vocal delivery. She played a set that ran around 35 minutes, and she was accompanied by guitarist Scot Sax. I have to say Scot riffed on people taking pictures using a flash and was at once hysterical as well as a slightly spankful. One of the highlights was Follow That Sound, the theme for the A&E series The Cleaner.

sharon little,Rams Head sharon little,Rams Head
Sharon Little plays Annapolis

Jay's setlist was Zombie, Can't Have It All, Home, Bowlegged & Starving, The Freshmen, Soda Shop, Goddamned, Blowin' In The Wind, Beautifully, Housewife, Denmark and an encore of Str8 Outta Compton. My favorite song of the night, well that would be hard to choose - Jay was hitting on all cylinders. But I think I would have to go with Goddamned, which can be seen here from his YouTube collection. Jay's voice is always a source of amazement for me, with his perfect tone and intriguing inflection.



Once I've had a chance to go thru my pictures, I will see if they turned out [aside from those I posted here] and if all is good, put up another post. You can find out more about Sharon Little at her website, and Jay at his website.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails