Thursday, June 30, 2011

Groovy Theme Songs

Photobucket

I am never sure if they were groovy or not but I do remember these shows and the theme songs that go with them. The shows ran in the late 60s and early 70s, when I was growing up. I remember watching all of these shows with the family, and laughing so heartily.

My Mother The Car

Back when the family was still living in the suburbs of Philadelphia, we watched Jerry Van Dyke in My Mother The Car. The premise of the show was completely ridiculous, yet I still remember watching it in 1965/1966 for the sole season it was on. I mean, really, his mother was reincarnated as an antique car? Hey, I was just a child, and if the family laughed, I did too!



That Girl

I so clearly remember watching the show That Girl and thinking Marlo Thomas was the coolest, funniest woman alive, that it is hard to believe it went on the air 45 years ago. It premiered in 1966 and lasted until 1971, a mere five seasons. It seems like it was on so much longer than that. Yet through it all, Marlo was the coolest!



The Banana Splits

One of my favorite Saturday morning shows was the The Banana Splits! I loved them, both as the 'live' muppets, and as animated characters. It began in 1968 and lasted 2 seasons. But I was eight years old, so loved everything they did, from the slapstick to the driving their dune buggies!



The Courtship of Eddie's Father

I remember The Courtship of Eddie's Father as being just so damn charming. Again, I was young, and perhaps I saw it in reruns, but there is so much earnest love and happiness, it was irresistible. It premiered in 1969, and was on for just three seasons.



Hope you enjoyed walking down memory lane with me!

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE groovy TV theme songs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only one I know is That Girl and I loved it! We only got a TV in the late 70's - not sure what life was like before it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marc, so do I!

    SteveA, I remember when we only had a B&W TV...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the music from that era. Even though I was born in '72, growing up, I was also a REAL diehard TV junkie, whether it was themes like Banana Splits (still one of my faves to this day), Green Acres, Partridge Family, Maude, or Good Times, or even Barbra Streisand, The Who, Petula Clark or The Girl From Ipanema, the music, overall, was just SO jazzy, SO fun, SO ORIGINAL.....can't think of enough superlatives to describe it
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails