Saturday, October 30, 2010

Saturday Morning with Angels

Robbie Williams
Robbie Williams

I have to admit that I have been a fan of Robbie Williams, with all the odd twists and turns his life has taken. from his early time with the British boyband Take That to his solo career, and now that it is coming full circle, with his work once again with Gary Barlow, Howard Donald, Jason Orange and Mark Owen, the men from Take That. But as we venture into Halloween weekend, and toy with all the ghosts, goblins and demons associated with the holiday, I thought it would be a great start to the day to hit up one of Robbie most successful solo releases, the song Angels. I know I love the song, from the Life Thru A Lens album. While it racked up impressive sales throughout Europe, selling Double Platinum in the UK alone, it never really caught on the the US. I can't figure out why. It was covered by Jessica Simpson, both overwrought and forgettable, and by American Idol runner-up David Archuleta, which was rather nice. But here, I return to the source, and my favorite version of the song. Here is Robbie singing Angels.



This does remind me I have to do a post on Robbie's solo stuff sometime soon. And think that there are several singer/songwriters I follow that could do a killer version of this song.

4 comments:

  1. You know how much I love Robbie and the TT boys, Howard! When I first got his Life Thru A Lens CD (thanks to my Welsh friend Gary who helped me out with a lot of stuff that wasn't available here back then), I immediately fell in love with "Angels". I definitely look forward to seeing your future post on Big Bob's solo work. It's just a shame he hasn't caught on more on this side of the pond. It's been too many years since I've seen him perform live!

    BTW, if you want to pay tribute to Robbie and have a Halloween tie-in of sorts, I think his Rock DJ video would do well for that category. ;)

    Sue :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, I knew you would love this. I, too, love this song, and you never know what I have in mind for tomorrow, do you? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adore this song.

    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, that is because you are a man of taste. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails