Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Birthday Kathy

kathy,reed

As today is my sister Kathy's birthday, I thought I might do something a little different than normal. When I was a kid growing up, I remember listening to her soul music - Motown, with Diana Ross and the Supremes, Jerry Butler and the Temptations, I also remember some of the early formation of my musical tastes with her 'rock' selection. But first, here are a few pictures.

eric himan,kathy,mandy,world cafe live
kathy,me,eric himan,world cafe live
kathy,reed
kathy,bear kathy,tigger
Top: Kathy, Eric Himan & Mandy. 2nd Row: Kathy, Eileen, Margie & me. 3rd Row: Kathy and her grandson, Reed. Bottom: Her dogs, Bear & Tigger.

So, part her record collection was Blood, Sweat & Tears - the voice of David-Clayton Thomas was so very distinctive. I remember listening to the album time and time again, grooving to Lucretia McEvil, And When I Die, and, of course, Spinning Wheel.



Another band I recall listening to is Sugarloaf. They rocked a little harder than Blood, Sweat & Tears, who had more of a rock/jazz fusion going on. Sugarloaf, however, were a rock/pop band, and I loved them. Here is Green Eyed Lady.



Kathy or her daughter Mandy will often go to shows with me, as you can attest to the picture above with Eric Himan, or with my cousins Margie & Eileen, both pictures taken at Eric shows at the World Cafe Live in Philadelphia. She also accompanied me to the recent show of Aiden James. But way back when, when I was very young, I remember her putting her records on and just loving the sounds I was hearing. Little did any of us know at a future date, I would have a blog about music, and those sounds were still inspiring me today. Happy Birthday, Kathy!

3 comments:

  1. Since I am the oldest, my Mother and her love of Brit Pop like the Dave Clark 5 and her passion for Motown (after all, I am from Detroit) helped shape my music interests.

    With racial politics being what they were, her collection of 'white' bands from the Moody Blues and some early MC5 among others encouraged me to be brave with my musical tastes.

    Happy birthday to Kathy and many, many more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am humbled to think I played a part in your incredible love for music. You have such a natural gift and wonderful distinct taste. I too have learned from you as I am getting older and you keep me young with you enthusiam to go and see Eric, Aiden and of course Tom. It is like Christmas when I stop at the house and I get a handful of CD's you have made for me - what a delight to listen to the different artist, new and different for me to find that there are so many new sounds I enjoy thanks to you.
    I remember many a day dancing to the music at the house when we were younger - our love affiar with Barbara and of course listening to Michael before he became "Michael"....and my favorite Motown sounds....I still have those old albums and I keep wanting to burn them to CD's - maybe one of these days I'll get to it..meanwhile, I'll keep listening to all those wonderful sounds you give me. What a special surprise for my birthday - you sharing a snapshot of our youth...Thanks Brother - I love you Howard! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark, Thanks!

    Kathy, thanks for stopping by on your birthday!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails