Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas Music - Barenaked Ladies



The band is irreverent, clever, silly, and self-deprecating, and also has some fun music that is full of joy and hooks. Barenaked Ladies are Jim Creeggan, Kevin Hearn, Ed Robertson and Tyler Stewart, a Canadian band with a couple of hit songs, including One Week, which went #1 in the US and all around the world in 1998. In 2004 they released Barenaked for the Holidays, and I love it very much. If you don't own it, you should.

The first video I will run is their original song, Elf's Lament, an irreverent look at the life of Santa's elves, and the possibility of an impending strike...



On the medley God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen/We Three Kings, which features Sarah McLachlan, is more traditional, and just beautiful.



For more on Barenaked Ladies, check out their website here. You can purchase Barenaked for the Holidays at Amazon.com for $9.99 here.

2 comments:

  1. I've been a fan of BNL for years. Seen 'em in concert a number of times including from the front row, which is dangerous when they sing If I Had a Million Dollars and the Kraft Dinner boxes come whipping by your head. (Fortunately that tapered off after a few years!)

    Hometown band too (from Toronto, or Scarborough to be more precise)! :) WOOT!

    The duet with Sarah gets a lot of airplay around here at this time of the year as does their version of Do They Know It's Christmas, but the one I hear the most is Green Christmas.

    BTW, just to mention since you posted an older pic AND he also appears on the Barenaked For Christmas album, there used to be a fifth member (and co-lead singer) of the group named Steven Page. I'm sure you know that, but I mentioned it in case some readers weren't aware.

    Sue :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, I am a fan as well. You know I enjoy Toronto musicians... :) I love the duet, it is really beautiful. I was aware of the Page, but thanks for giving the readers a heads up!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails