Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Worth Another Listen - The Blow Monkeys





When the New Wave artists hit the scene in the 80s, I was so all over them. It included The Blow Monkeys, a British band who started with lots of promise, but ultimately came up as light as many of their counterparts from the era. They pulled the 19th Century British Schoolboy image for all it was worth, and it certainly gave me a chance to give them a long look - and enjoy their early stuff. That included the song Digging Your Scene.



The Blow Monkeys are back, so to speak. Sadly, I don't think anyone missed them. But I did enjoy their first outing! Just let it go, boys!

7 comments:

  1. Me too, Wonder Man, me too. My favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - another one of my faves - you have blogged on all the artists I have on Vinyl and now on MP 3. I have "Diggin you scene" on "45" or 7" and also on my IPOD (it's on two of my playlists - Coffee House and 80's Modern Rock).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I forgot to mention - have you even heard anyone in the 80's do jazz as smooth as these guys - their sound was slick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SteveA - the other Jazz-hounds that come to mind are Level 42 - and I hope to feature them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also another popular Jazz sounding band out from the UK are Swing Out Sister - others that followed was Lisa Stansfield. These were more poppy - but still had that nice feel to it.

    And of course - Sade - sexy jazz that became mainstream.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't dismiss The Blow Monkeys latest, The Devil's Tavern, too quickly. It is mature and authentic sounding. Robert's vocals are powerful. There is still that air of social commentary laced through what is as strong pop album. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails