Monday, August 31, 2009

Dark Monday - Follies


Follies is a show by the remarkable Stephen Sondheim. I am telling you, the man is brilliant. Follies was a well-conceived musical about a reunion of a group of vaudeville singer and dancers. Perhaps one of the most sung numbers from the show is I'm Still Here, sung by Eartha Kitt. The song was famously sung by Shirley MacLaine in Postcards From The Edge.



Here is Dorothy Loudon, known for her role of Mrs. Hannigan in the original Annie, singing a medley of Sondheim songs, including the incredible Losing My Mind from Follies and You Could Drive A Person Crazy from Company.



For a more traditional version of I Think About You, here is the glorious Cleo Laine.

3 comments:

  1. I love Shirley doing "I'm Still Here." That might be the best scene of the film. For sure one of my favs!

    Baranski does a great version too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see this! Shirley is fabulous - love her singing "I'm Still Here" and "If My Friends Could See Me Now" (just mentioning because I like it). Christine Baranski is wonderful no matter what she's in.

    Sondheim is a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine Baranski, a lady who can do no wrong in my book.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails