Saturday, August 15, 2009

Great Women - kd lang

kd lang kd lang

I remember kd lang in the late 80s, a wild Canadian Country singer with her band, The Reclines. I ran out and bought my copy of Angel With A Lariat when it was released in 1987, and have just been amazed with her voice since.

Photobucket kd lang

I believe the first song I heard her sing was some honkey-tonk number on some late night talk show, not even sure which one. She was bouncing around the stage in a classic Country outfit from the late fifties, taken to the extreme. It was a pink silk blouse with fringe, and a skirt with fringe as well. She was wild, and was kinda billed as performing Country 'punk.' kd followed that up with Shadowland (1988) and Absolute Torch and Twang (1989). While she has had some magnificent performances since, they are still my three favorite kd CDs.



After that, the next CD was Ingénue in 1992 with the song that pretty much made her famous, Constant Craving. And afterwards, there was her collaboration with Tony Bennett. I have bought CDs since, but still think there is something extra special when kd sings Country music. But no matter what she sings, her amazing voice and interesting turn of a phrase is something that will set her apart from most singers of her generation.



You can find more about kd lang at her website.

kd lang kd lang

5 comments:

  1. She is also on the early 90s compilation Red Hot and Blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her song & video of So In Love by Cole Porter on Red Hot + Blue is unbelievable!
    I have seen her live more than any other artist. She is amazing in concert & my favorite is her cover of Roy Orbison's CRYING. When she does it live it makes all the hair on my body stand on end...& that is a lot of hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kailyn, yes, that was a great version.

    Stephen, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to see her in concert. I enjoy her CDs very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joy, you gotta love her, doncha?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails