Saturday, August 1, 2009

Photographs & Memories

Photobucket
Grandmom & Grandpop with Kathy, Billy and me, and also with Grandma and cousins.

This week I started a project that is taking me in all kinds of directions. My parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary soon, and we kids are throwing a surprise party for them. I was tasked with scanning in old photos for a video, and so I have been looking through old albums and boxes filled with pictures. It brought back plenty of memories and thoughts of family and friends.

Kyle Larry Ohio
kyleklnh, left, and Larry_Ohio, right.

I also thought about the blog, and the interesting experience it has been for me thus far. One joy has been meeting other bloggers. That said, I would like to welcome two more, kyleklnh, who runs the place at Out Left, and LarryOhio, who keeps us updated at Patently Queer. Make sure you stop by and say hello to them.

me,anniversary,pictures
Me as a itty, bitty boy.

Also, thanks to all the people stopping by the blog, we should reach over 3,700 by the time this is posted. All I can think to say is thank you, and go figure.

mom,anniversary,pictures mom,anniversary,pictures Photobucket
dad,anniversary,pictures dad,anniversary,pictures dad,anniversary,pictures
Pictures of Mom & Dad before they met, and pictures I took recently.

Now, back to the pictures. I have pictures of my parents wedding, them before then, and of the family since. My parents were wed in 1959, and I was born in 1960. The journey from there to here is an odd one to see in pictures, both charming and delightful, along with bittersweet. There are friends and relatives lost, along with relationships that have faded, much like the pictures. Some of the pictures have ink stains from years of being around kids, while others are torn or folded, or nicked and stained. Indeed, the pictures are much like the subjects, captured in a simpler time, only to have come through the world a little more weary, and a little damaged.

wedding,anniversary,pictures wedding,anniversary,pictures wedding,anniversary,pictures
Mom & Dad at their wedding.

Well, I have some more work to do on the pictures, and now that I have a little tease, I will have to come back to it later. But I did find pictures of me with long hair, and it was looking great!

7 comments:

  1. I love this entry... Hey, I keep leaving comments and they disappear- loving your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking at old family photos, even when they aren't my own family! Look at your Mom's dress in the wedding photos--that is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zombie - glad you like this one. Thanks for the thumbs up, but I don't know what to do about the comments - do you?

    Beth - Yes, it is rather fun. Although my eyes start to bleed with all the looking at them, scanning and trying to color correct... Will be good when I am done, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet little face on your young self! I also like to look at pictures other people have. Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Joy. It is amazing what innocence looks like, isn't it? Hope your weekend is going well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't old pictures amazing? It doesn't matter whose family it is. If you're of a certain age, everyone's family photos look the same. I wonder if people 50 years ago will think the same about our current photos?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stan, it is amazing how family pictures seem to be somewhat interchangeable. I am working on a post about me and the looks I sported for the last 49 years, and can't help bu think how many people will see them and identify immediately.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails