Thursday, August 4, 2011

5 on the 5th • Clayton, DE

New 5 on the 5th Banner

It is the 5th of the month, time for Stephen Chapman's 5 on the Fifth posts. This month, Stephen announced the theme is MY TOWN. I decided to take on the challenge of the theme. First, however, I thought a bit of information would be appropriate now. Clayton is located centrally in the state of Delaware, on the East Coast of the US. The actual town is about 1 square mile in area, but there is plenty of surrounding farmland that is considered to be in the mailing zone of Clayton. In 2010, the official census put the population of the town just under 3,000 people. While I live on the outskirts of a rather small town, we do have a Clayton mailing address. And to set the mood a bit more, I thought I would post Simon & Garfunkel's My Little Town, and you can hit play and listen while you are looking at the pictures.



The Town of Clayton's flag flying.

Photobucket


The public drinking fountain. I will be honest, I have never had a drink from it, and never will. But it is nice that they continue to take care of it.

Photobucket


Looking down the sidewalk of Main Street is like looking down the sidewalk of any small town in the country.

Photobucket


The old train depot, which has been long closed. The tracks are used by freight trains, and can be heard running at night. For a long time, the depot was an antique shop. I am not sure what is in it now.

Photobucket

The water tower with the town emblazoned on it. Every town has one, don't they?

Photobucket

Well, that is the quick tour of my town, Clayton, Delaware. I have some more pictures I loaded into the folder here. To see the collections of others who are participating, visit here.

15 comments:

  1. Nice pics, Howard. I like the old train depot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks so... errrm... American! Although there are water towers around, there are none in my town.

    Great pics. And the addition of a suitable soundtrack is inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, I love these, it really gives me a taste of your town, of what it looks and feels like. I love the train depot and the drinking fountain.

    Thanks for this little interlude into your world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @T, thank you.

    @Cubby, yes, that was a favorite of mine as well.

    @Stephen, thank you. As I read your notice of a topic, that song popped into my mind....

    @Jason, thank you so much.

    @Wonder Man, Clayton is very 'small town America'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those water towers seems almost scary to me, I don't know why. Maybe I'm afraid it's about to come crashing down? Anyway, brilliant pics. Thanks for sharing!

    Love
    Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Daniel, Thanks! I think I might be afraid if I was on top of one of the towers...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely pictures! We don't have water towers where I live because the water pressure is high enough by itself..... the reservoirs are located on tops of mountains or high hills.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the small town feel...looks like a family neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice shots! Thanks for stopping by :) LG Tina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely shots. I'm curious about the fountain. Is it seriously out in the middle of the street?

    ReplyDelete
  11. @BuddyBear, thanks for the kind words.

    @Steve, that is Main Street, all 5 or so blocks of it. LOL

    @Tina, thank you. And thanks for stopping by here as well.

    @erik, thank you. And yes, it is seriously in the middle of the street, and not covered. I can't explain, just know it is there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I'd forgotten what a small town looked like. Alaska is riddled with small towns, but they dont have that classic small town look. Love the railway depot, it looks so very lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Biki, thanks for checking out my pics!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails