Sunday, August 21, 2011

The Monkees • Pleasant Valley Sunday

Monkees Logo
L to R: Peter, Michael, Micky and Davy.

Micky Dolenz, Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork, and Davy Jones. Together, they were a band named The Monkees. The band was cast by television executives to be a part of a show, which debuted in 1966 and lasted for just two seasons. Micky learned to play the drums once he was cast, as none of the four played percussion.

Monkees Sunday

I must do a post on them soon, but in a nutshell, despite some derisive coments out the band being the 'Pre-Fab Four,' the series was quite innovative for the time. The editing and shooting was quick and filled with vitality, and so youthful. The humor was young and hip, and even John Lennon was quoted as never missing an episode.

Since it is Sunday, I thought I would post a quick clip of The Monkees performing Pleasant Valley Sunday. The song features the lead vocals of Micky Dolenz, not Davy Jones. The song is a good one, so here it is.

8 comments:

  1. I am, of course, old enought to remember them & to watched the TV show. The Monkees were never quite given credit for their musicality & skills... but they were, briefly, very popular.
    Pleasant Valley Sunday was written by Gerry Goffin & Carole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved The Monkees when I was four - and I still enjoy their music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love The Monkees! They had a resurgence on MTV back in the 80s. I recorded every episode (on a VCR tape, thank you very much) and watched them over and over. "Zilch" is the ultimate ear worm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently did an entry that revolved around 'Oh for Pete's Sake'! I did not miss an episode when it was in reruns as a kid..!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Used to Love the Monkees. Still have a couple of the CD's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They just came up among some of us on Facebook. I was a fan back then and remain a fan now. They made some truly fine pop music that I think holds up well. I look forward to your full post about them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it is impossible not to like, or even love, the Monkees.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails