Friday, February 24, 2012

Earth, Wind & Fire • Part 2

Earth Wind & Fire

Several weeks ago, I had a post about the great band Earth, Wind & Fire, which you can see here. I was planning to run a second post, and the time just escaped me. So, six or so weeks later, here we go with more songs that just make my soul a little lighter, my day a little brighter. If you remember, I can't think of the band without thinking of a high school teacher, Ms. Pinkett, who said they were her favorite band, and called the "the elements." That said, I will start with my memories of the Elements, and I know that dancing to Boogie Wonderland (featuring The Emotions) in 1979 is a good one, to be sure. The song, off the double Platinum-selling album I Am, soared up the charts, and made it to #6 on the US chart, and #4 on the Billboard UK chart.



Now, I remember this song so very well, but, to tell the truth, didn't from the title. But once I hit play on the video, I was up on my feet to dance, and snapping my fingers like I was an original member of the band. Sing a Song is a great song, but the title makes me the of the Carpenters first. By the second bar, I have forgotten that band, and focused all on the Elements. The song was off their 1975 live album Gratitude, which made it to #1 on the album charts. Gratitude sales went through the roof, as the album was certified triple Platinum. The single went to #5 on the Billboard Hot 100.



The band stretched their success into another decade with the 1981 hit, Let's Groove. If this doesn't get you off your butt and dancing, I don't know if anything could. The song was off the Platinum album Raise!. The single made it to #1 on the US R&B chart, #3 on the US Hot 100, and #3 on the UK Pop chart.



If there is a some that really appeals to my sentimental side, it has to be the 1978 hit, Fantasy. That was the year I graduated high school, and moved on to college, and Fantasy was playing everywhere, be it the parties of that summer, to the early dance/parties in my freshman year of college. I was stunned when I saw the song only made it to #32 on the Billboard Hot 100, and #12 on the R&B chart. It is a great song, and really deserved better. It was off the triple-Platinum All 'N All album. With no further delay, here is Earth, Wind & Fire singing Fantasy.



The band continues to tour today, although some of the original members have moved on, while others moved and and returned! To find out more about Earth, Wind & Fire, visit their official website here. You can find their music on iTunes, and on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails