Friday, October 2, 2009

Worth Another Listen - Bow Wow Wow

Bow Wow Wow Bow Wow Wow

In 1982, at the height of the New Wave/Punk movement that was controlling the American Music scene, out came a song from a group called Bow Wow Wow. The song was I Like Candy, and it became an international hit. Bow Wow Wow was put together by Malcolm McLaren, one of the best promoters in the music business at the time. He put the band together to help promote a clothing line by friend/designer/business partner Vivienne Westwood.

Bow Wow Wow Bow Wow Wow

Now the irony of their biggest hit being called I Want Candy is not lost on my, as lead singer Annabella Lwin was just 14 years old when discovered, and 15 at the time of the hit. She was often photographed in provocative poses with little to no clothing, and given her age, it was a bit controversial.



The official site for the band can be found here.

5 comments:

  1. I think it's "I Want Candy", Howard. Either way, it was a great song. What an 80s anthem! Awesome, dude. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stan, I got it rite the second time, just not the first. LOL I have no idea what I was thinking! Proves I really need to stop writing posts late at night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea she was a teen at this time - ummm! Interesting - this was an MTV staple and a huge hit in the UK and US. Still love hearing it at 80's parties!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SteveA, yes, I remember there being some controversy, since she was soooo young and doing some provocative things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i still have the sleeve to go wild in the country, i thought it was great as i was the same age as Annabella

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails