Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sunday Evening with Stewart Lewis

CRW_4795.CRW CRW_4833.CRW
CRW_4831.CRW
CRW_4799.CRW CRW_4801.CRW CRW_4832.CRW

On March 15, 2012, I was lucky enough to go to the MilkBoy Coffee in Ardmore, PA, to see Stewart Lewis, playing a show with Tom Goss. I haven't seen Stewart in a couple of years, when I saw him play with Goss and Jake Walden in the Rock The Folk Out Tour. I loved him then, and have continued to love his music. His recent EP, Stumbling For Truth, is just exceptional, proving he can move effortlessly between Pop and Folk, making both adjust to his deft touch. I will start off with Stewart's Pop nugget, Not A Love Song. I love this song, one of many gems off the 2008 album, In Formation. I am blown away by Stewart's ability to bring his textured and layered music to a live performance, as you can see here.



Stewart's Stumbling For Truth is a beautiful gift from the storyteller, balancing Lewis' sweet voice with the sparse production to make music that has both power and a delicate touch. There is also a haunted feel on House On A Hill, the final track on the EP.



Since the first time I heard the next song, I thought it had a interesting sexy feel to it. There was just something so playful in Stewart's vocals, and sultry in the music, from the bluesy guitar to the undulating rhythms. And since he played the song for me that night, there was an added layer of thrilling. So just sit back and enjoy Leave Me, off Stumbling For Truth.



For the final song in the post, I offer up Supertramps Or Superstars, a song written by Stewart that has yet to make it to a recording. I have my fingers crossed that Stewart is already storing up music for a next release. This one reminds me of the great songs written by some of the great folk poets of the past, like Lou Reed, artists who have perfectly captures stories and told them with just the right amount of honesty balanced with flavor to capture the tale.



As much as I loved the new EP when I got it, hearing it played live made me love it even more. There is something about the intimacy of hearing the music live that gives the songs a more tangible edge. I don't think it is possible to beat hearing your favorite artists play the music live, and allowing your senses to fill up with the experience. But if you can't get to the live show, then certainly pick up the music that you like. You can find Stumbling For Truth on iTunes, CD Baby, and Amazon. You can find In Formation on iTunes and purchase the physical CD from Amazon and CD Baby. For more about Stewart, visit him on his official website.

CRW_4797.CRW CRW_4811.CRW CRW_4810.CRW

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails