Thursday, April 5, 2012

Checking Out Missy Higgins

Missy Higgins

I will admit I was a bit late to the party about Missy Higgins. Now, I can't tell you why, since I have a true affection for several Aussie musicians, and have always had a penchant for singer/songwriters who fall under the banner of the LGBT community. Although she would prefer to not discuss her personal life, she did say she has dated both men and women. The first time I heard her music was when I heard Canadian Theo Tams do a cover of her brilliant song, Where I Stood. That did lead me to check out her music, and I was delighted to discover I really loved it.

Missy Higgins

When I first started listening to her, I will admit there was a familiar feel, and she reminded me a bit of Shawn Colvin. And while I still hear some similarities, I quickly heard her making her own statement, her own sound in my brain. Scar off The Sound of White in 2004. It went to #1 in Australia. The song was written by Missy and Kevin Griffin, a member of the band Better Than Ezra. The song was also featured on the soundtrack to the CW hit, One Tree Hill. This is a wonderful song, and it has a certain freshness to it that I love.



The Special Two was the third single off The Sound of White in 2005. It went to #2 in Australia. The ballad was written by Higgins. It was certified Gold in sales, and some in the industry consider it to be Missy's finest work to date.



The next song is Steer, a brilliant song off the On A Clear Night album. It was the first single released in 2007, and went to #1 in Australia. I just love this song, and with a joyous feel and a clean,acoustic sound.



And, finally, we come to the song that kind of started it all for me. The first time I heard Where I Stood, it was being sung by singer/songwriter Tams. Little did I know that the song was the second single off the On A Clear Night album. I loved the song, filled with real emotions that were obviously heartfelt. It went to #10 in Australia. The song was also featured on several television shows, including Smallville, Grey's Anatomy, One Tree Hill, Friday Night Lights, Ghost Whisperer, The Hills, Lipstick Jungle, NCIS, Weeds, and Pretty Little Liars.



For more about Missy Higgins, check out her official website. You can purchase On A Clear Night on iTunes and Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails