Sunday, December 22, 2013

Chris Cornell • Ave Maria

 photo Chris_Cornell06_zps2504b318.jpg
Chris Cornell photo Chris_Cornell04_zps85843fdc.jpg Chris Cornell photo chris_cornell02_zpsf78a33bf.jpg

When I was thinking about having a post for Sunday morning, just three days before Christmas, I wanted to have an interesting interpretation of "Ave Maria", so I checked to see who I had in my iTunes that might work. Well, once I saw I had a version by Chris Cornell, I knew the search was over. In 1997, Chris recorded the Franz Schubert, written in 1825 inspired by Walter Scott's poem, "The Lady of the Lake". Well, a German translation of the poem, at least. I am sure Schubert had no idea that 172 years later, the song would be interpreted by a Rock Star, with a voice like Chris Cornell. I am a huge fan of Cornell, so when I read about his recording of the song, I had to make it a part of my collection. It appeared on the 1997 album 'A Very Special Christmas 3', where Cornell sung with the band Eleven playing on the song.



There is a certain majesty to his voice, a depth to his vocal that few can match. And it never hurts to know he is so nice to look at. You can find 'A Very Special Christmas 3' on iTunes and Amazon. To learn more about Chris Cornell, visit his official website. You can also 'follow' him on Twitter, and 'like' him on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails