Saturday, July 26, 2014

Johnny Mathis • The Summer Knows

Johnny Mathis photo Johnny-Mathis-585_zpsd7d67f33.jpg

I must admit, I've had a crush on Johnny Mathis for the longest time. When I was still a kid, I remember my mother listening to his music, especially around the holidays. The tone of his voice is just magnificent, and his control is outrageous. And, lest I forget to mention, he is a handsome man, which is never a bad thing. I still have his music in iTunes, and listen to him. And every time, he makes me sigh and smile.

Johnny Mathis - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face photo JohnnyMathis1stTime585_zps3d2a22aa.jpg

In 1972, some 42 years ago, Johnny released an album, 'The First Time Ever (I Saw Your Face)', a collection of 11 cover songs that were popular at the time. Among the song was the amazing "The Summer Knows", also know as the "Theme from Summer of '42". The album mad it to Billboard magazine's Top LP's & Tapes chart, and remained there for 15 weeks. The film, released in 1971, had music written by the great Michel Legrand. While it was recorded both as an instrumental and a Pop song, it did have lyrics are by Marilyn and Alan Bergman. The song sounds perfectly suited to Johnny's voice, but then again, what song doesn't? I hope you enjoy Johnny Mathis singing "The Summer Knows".



Enjoy your summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails