Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Billboard Top 5 - 1985

billboard,top 5

25 years ago, I was living in Brooklyn, working Off-Broadway theater in Greenwich Village, a poor, but happy camper. While working at the theater, the radio was often on, so I knew all three of these songs well, although only one or two was really a part of my record collection at that point. And, I am sorry to say, it wasn't the song that was in fifth place, We Built This City by Starship. I apologize because I loved Jefferson Airplane, and thought Grace Slick truly rocked. I might have tolerated the move to become Jefferson Starship, but when they went only by Starship, I had written them off. Listen to Grace and the boys sing this song, and tell me you don't think they are capable of way better...



There is some Pop music you just have to accept at face value - it is what it is. Huey Lewis and the News is one of those - a band that created catchy hooks and fun music, but it wasn't really gonna be breaking any boundary, or moving you with insightful reflection. Don't get me wrong, some music has to be like that, and Huey and the boys did it well. Here is the #4 song of the year, The Power of Love. If I am not mistaken, it was the theme song to one of the Back To The Future movies.



I will admit to having a weird fascination for the # 3 song, Mr. Mister's Broken Wing. Well, truthfully, I had a much greater interest in the song Kyrie, which was released immediately following this one, but liked this one, too. Partially, it was my interest in Richard Page's vocals, as well as the nicely structured musical accompaniment. Could be the beautifully photographed videos that went with the band, but you never know for sure. Just know I liked them, and these songs found their way into my listening rotation.



OK, I was already a fan of Tears For Fears since the first album, 1983s The Hurting. The complex music aligned with the introspective lyrics made the band a perfect brooding English schoolboy-like crush, and I was there. Songs From The Big Chair was released in 1985, and was a great follow-up to the debut, with more polish while still keeping the elements. Here is the #2 song of 1985, the primal Shout.



On one hand, how can you not like REO Speedwagon? I mean, they are a classic American rock band, and don't think they ever released anything as embarrassing as J. Geils Band's Centerfold song. On the other hand, I don't really remember many of their songs when I think of them, more like just a thought of a fun band. When I heard this, I knew the song instantly, but if someone had asked me what was their top song of 1985, I don't know if I would have had an answer. Anyway, this is Can't Fight This Feeling by REO Speedwagon. Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. One of my top twenty song of my life is from Tears For Fears 'Songs From The Big Chair' release... I think I am going to look for a video and blog about it today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great memories thinking back on these songs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 80's was really shaping up here and switching directions in 1985 as many of the classic rock bands were becoming main stream pop - like Heart and Starship.
    Sure Starhip is capable of much better - I saw them live a really long time ago and their 70's classic is just what this band is about. But when I listen to "We Built this City" - it does bring back good memories of me and my sister trying to decide if we should get the 45 or the LP.

    Tears for Fears - I was also a huge fan of their 1st album with killer classic tracks like Change and Mad World - beautiful! Songs from the Big Chair had great music and brought some dreamy new wave to pop. How could you not love the 80's with "Everybody Wants to Rule the World".

    At #1 is classic REO - would you believe I saw them live twice - I was such a huge fan of their music and this song I can just sing in my car whilst driving to work - love it.

    Oh and I final note - Glen Fry "The Heat is On" - OMG - I so loved that song - and the soundtrack it was on (Beverly Hills Cop 2).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big Mark, go for it!

    Michael, the memories are just ingrained, aren't they?

    SteveA, TFF was one of my favorites for the year - the album was incredible. For me, they cast a shadow on the year with the amazing music, and I was shocked they were in 2nd.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I used to love these songs. Looking back now I feel very different about them. Sort of sound cheesey now. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brenda, thanks for stopping by. I am much more concerned about the way I looked in 1985, thinking I was hot, than the way these sound now. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's amazing what songs come to mind when we think about the 80s. Well, speaking for myself, anyway. I only think of the techno-pop "totally 80s" music. But when you look at these bit lists, there are so many many more "regular" songs. Our charts weren't filled with those 80s anthems we normally think about.
    I love Grace Slick, too , but while I do love "We Built This City", I prefer her airplane days and "White Rabbit". But that's really the 70s in me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stan, I know, that it what fascinates me about the lists, and why I run them, is finding the songs that I have 'forgotten' yet when I hear them, they certainly remind me of the time.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails