Friday, September 13, 2013

Dance, Dance Evolution

Village People photo VillagePeople_zps19c43d74.jpg RuPaul photo Rupaul-WhiteWig_zpsdb314792.jpg
Brian Kent photo BrianKent003_zps972eacba.jpg Sir Ari Gold photo SirAriGold001_zps437c55ba.jpg
Clockwise: Village People, RuPaul, Sir Ari Gold, and Brian Kent.

For my inspiration today, I decided to take a look at the last four decades, and pick a song I really loved to show an evolution of dance through the years. I have chosen songs that are in my iTunes collection. The artists are also very talented members of the LGBT community. There was a wealth of music from which to choose, so it wasn't the easiest post to put together, but it was very fun. I got to listen to many songs not posted here, which made me very happy. I will start with the 1980s, the first decade I took on. There was a wealth of great music, with the great Sylvester, Bronski Beat, Culture Club, and many others I remember calling me to the dance floor. But I finally settled on a song that was released in 1980, from a group that bridged the 1970s and the 1980s. That group was the Village People, icons of the disco era. When Victor Willis, Felipe Rose, Alex Briley, Glenn Hughes, David Hodo, and Randy Jones got together to sing, little could hold them back. As the cop, the Indian, the soldier, the leatherman, the construction worker, and the cowboy thrilled audiences with classic hits like "Y.M.C.A.", "Macho Man" "In The Navy" and others. In 198O, they released the title cut from a new album, as well as a movie by the same name. "Can't Stop the Music" was written by Jacques Morali, the mastermind behind the group. But once the boys got hold of it, it was totally theirs! And, before I forget, happy birthday, Randy 'Cowboy' Jones! You can see when you watch the music video for the Village People singing "Can't Stop the Music".



Now I will move on to the next decade, the 1990s. This was another decade with a ton of music I got to listen to, before I made a the tough decision. But I finally decided to go with song from 1992 by the drag queen who continues to set the standard for all, RuPaul. "Supermodel (You Better Work)" was written by RuPaul, Jimmy Harry, and Larry Tee. The song went to #45 on the Billboard Hot 100, and #! on the US Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs chart. The music video also took MTV (when it used to play music) by storm, going into regular play on the rotation. While Nirvana and Pearl Jam were ruling the airwaves, one very special drag queen stepped up to be heard. Please enjoy RuPaul singing "Supermodel (You Better Work)".



The next decade once again plunged me into a deep pool of wonderful music, including some of my favorite artists. What tipped the scales for me was the absolute positive message of this song. So I pikced the 2007 release by the handsome Brian Kent, "Breathe Life". It is the title cut off a wonderful album, and a glorious music video, too. The driving beat disguises the love and good offered by the song for only a few seconds. I swear, just playing this song makes my day a little brighter. I hope you feel the same way when you watch the music video for "Breathe Life".



And while my final pick has only a pool of songs that is far short of a decade, I still had more than enough songs to listen to. I had several favorites, but decided to go with Sir Ari Golds latest single and video, featuring "Play My F**kn' Record". The song was first heard off his wonderful album, 'Between the Spirit & the Flesh', Gold worked with filmmaker Francis Legge, and the result was both 2D and 3D version, with include cameo appearances by Michael Musto, Michael Lucas, Peppermint, Meital as Gaga, Jamie Drake, Manilla Luzon, Dwayne Milan, Lovari, Eddy Barrena, MEG, Antonio Minopoli, Sherry Vine & Ari's Mom! Enjoy watching "Play My F**kn' Record"!



Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails