Monday, July 29, 2013

Dark Monday • I Can See It

Sam Harris photo Sam_Harris_zps8ca2086f.jpg

I still remember the first time I saw Sam Harris, a young singer from Oklahoma. He was appearing on 'Star Search' in 1983, coming out on stage with his fluffy mullet, high top sneakers, his long formal jackets with the big flower in the lapel. What is this funny little man going to do?, I wondered. Then he started singing. The firs time hearing Sam sing, you couldn't really help but stare, your jaw hanging open, not sure this was real. But it was. And I have no problem telling you I cheered for him the rest of his season. After all, he was Star Search's 'Kelly Clarkson'...

Sam Harris photo sam-harris_concert_zpsc81d5ea1.jpg

Sam was signed by Motown, and had some radio success. He also went on to play on Broadway, sharing that amazing instrument with so many. He also worked with other artists, and continued to sing live. At one show, he sang on of my favorites from the iconic off-Broadway musical, 'The Fantasticks'. I first discovered "I Can See It" on Barbra Streisand's "My Name Is Barbra" album, and thought it so wonderfully dynamic. When I thought about this post, I was interested to see who else might have sung the song, and was intrigued when Sam Harris came up. After all, he has that spectacular voice. And after listening, I so so very glad I did find it. So here is Sam Harris singing "I Can See It" from the 1960 musical 'The Fantasticks', written by Harvey Schmidt and Tom Jones.



Only recently, I mentioned Sam's collaboration with Levi Kreis for the new album. And only last week, Sam was on Jimmy Fallon's show 'recreating' his big moment on 'Star Search', when he sang "Over The Rainbow". For more about Sam Harris, visit his official website. You can also 'like' him on Facebook, and 'follow' him on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails