Saturday, April 6, 2013

Golden Songs From The Silver Screen

Doris Day photo doris_day_zpsa6f8c96c.jpg Dame Shirley Bassey photo shirley-bassey-1959_zps6886e984.jpg
Binnie Hale photo binny-hale_zps0d2a0811.jpg Ella Fitzgerald photo Ella_Fitzgerald_1962_zpsafc430a8.jpg
Clockwise: Doris Day; Dame Shirley Bassey; Ella Fitzgerald, and Binnie Hale.

Well, I have to admit I was wondering what to post about, and I came across an old recording by one of my favorites, Michael Feinstein, 'Romance On Film/Romance On Broadway', which featured some amazing songs that might be best known because of a spectacular and memorable performance on stage or on screen. Since many of these were older songs, I went about looking for some amazing recordings to show off what great songs they are. The first of those is a popular song written in 1945 by Harry Warren, with lyrics by Mack Gordon. It has appeared in several films, perfect for fixing the mood of a scene. I picked a song recorded in 1965 by the great Doris Day. When she sings "The More I See You", it is impossible not to feel deeply what love can be.



Next up, I have picked a song introduced by Bing Crosby in the 1960 film 'High Time'. "The Second Time Around" has lyrics by Sammy Cahn and music by Jimmy Van Heusen, a great duo indeed. For this great song, I picked the always amazing Dame Shirley Bassey, with a rendition she recorded for the 1962 album, 'Lets Face The Music'. The great singer was accompanied by the great Nelson Riddle and his Orchestra



I don't know if this post would be able to go without this song written by Herman Hupfeld in 1931. It was written for the 1931 Broadway musical 'Everybody's Welcome' and originally sung by Frances Williams. But perhaps it is best known by a version sung by a character in a 1942 movie. Club singer Sam (Dooley Wilson) sings the song in the movie 'Casablanca'. Yes, we are talking about the great song "As Time Goes By". Now, it has been recorded by a multitude of artists, but after I looked around, I decided to go with a version by Binnie Hale in 1932. There is just such charm on the recording made by this stsar of the British stage.



And, last but most certainly not least, I decided to go with a song written in 1932 by the great songwriting team of Rodgers & Hart. "Isn't It Romantic" was introduced by Jeanette MacDonald and Maurice Chevalier in the Paramount film 'Love Me Tonight'. I decided to go with a lush version recorded in 1957 by the brilliant Ella Fitzgerald recorded. It is my pleasure to share with you the great Ella singing "Isn't It Romantic".



Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails