Thursday, September 27, 2012

Jeremiah Clark • It's Gonna Be Alright

Jeremiah Clark

I first head of Jeremiah Clark through Tom Goss, and I even saw him playing with Tom back in 2009. Since then, Clark has two releases out, and I am proud to say both are in my iTunes. We all know I love a talented out and proud singer/songwriter! The latest release is Born & Raised, a highly personal acoustic journey. On it, the Pittsburgh-based singer/songwriter shares a good bit of his heart on the nine tracks. There is a real purity to Clark's voice, a clarity of tone that is a joy to my ears. The album is filled with some amazing moments, but I think my favorite could be the fifth cut, "My Brightside". There is something wonderfully revealing, and insistent on the song that just made me listen three times in a row, never losing my smile. Give a listen and tell me what you think.



However, it is tough to find a song that could touch my heart more than the third song, "It's Gonna Be Alright". I'd read that Clark wrote the song about the experience of a friend battling cancer. That does hit home for me, a cancer survivor myself. There is a bold honesty, a journey explored here. I remember telling myself on more than one occasion that "It's Gonna Be Alright". Check out this live version of the song.



And there are several more tracks that immediately caught my attention. "4-3-2-1" has a different feel, yet maintains that honesty. And "Ghosts" offers a look those ghosts of memories, of former lovers whose shadows still live in our minds. And the simplicity and beauty of "My Final Hour" is just an acapella treat about a life well-lived. Throughout the album, I never lose the feeling Jeremiah is offering up his journey for us all to take a look, and realize how connected we all are. For more about Jeremiah Clark, visit his official website. You can purchase Born & Raised on Bandcamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails