Tuesday, September 11, 2012

911 • Delaware Stair Climb 2011

CRW_2096.CRW

Last year, I was lucky enough to be invited by my niece and nephew to bring my camera as they took part in the Delaware Stair Climb at Dover Downs in Dover, Delaware. So, on Sunday, September 11, 2011, as the nation marked the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, the firefighters of Station 54, the Little Creek Fire Department, joined many other volunteer departments in the Delaware Stair Climb, where they came together to climb 110 flights of stairs in memory of their fallen brethren who were lost in the World Trade Center 10 years ago. Senator Tom Carper and Governor Tom Markell were featured speakers before the Climb began. you can click on the photographs to enlarge them.

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket

Firefighters from all over were there to honor their fallen comrades, and were proud to do so. Men and women of all ages took part in this, and cheered each other on. While I was there, I also took a bit of video while I was there. Check out this quick 3 minute clip of the Station 54's effort to complete the climb.



While I made it for the first two trips up Tower 1, I quickly figured I wouldn't make it up 110 flights, so I stepped aside and take my role as photographer seriously. In the next section, I included a picture of some of the twisted steel from the World Trade Center.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket

For me, this was a fitting tribute to the fallen first responders in 2001. I was glad I was there to see it, and thrilled to be able to share the pictures with everyone. It is these people, the ones who are there when you need them the most, that should be honored and remembered on days like today.

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails