Monday, April 18, 2011

Rest In Peace, Lanford Wilson

Lanford Wilson
Lanford Wilson
Lanford Wilson

During the mid-80s, I worked in theater at the Circle Repertory Company, one of the leading Off-Broadway theaters located in Greenwich Village. He had been one of the founders of the theater, along with Tanya Berezin, Marshall Mason, and Rob Thirkield, in 1969. I started with the theater in 1983, first as an intern working backstage for Fool For Love, the Sam Shepard play. I handled the wardrobe needs during the run, and took care of any set repairs when required. In a few months I was hired on as Master Carpenter, working on each new show. That was my beginning in New York. Lanford was often around, when he was in town. Mostly he was in the offices, which were on Varrick, but he would sometimes stop by the theater on 7th Avenue South.



I would sometime get the chance to chat with him at an opening night party at the theater, or in passing at the offices. Bill, my boyfriend at the time, was working in there, working with the playwrights. Lanford once told me I was lucky to be with him. I don't know it I ever told Bill about that. I should. But it does show what an incredibly nice man Lanford was, as well as being a gifted writer.

2 comments:

  1. Great post ... may he Rest in Peace.

    LOVE that first picture!!

    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, thank you. He was a wonderful man. And that first picture, that is the way I remember the theater.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails