Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Thirty Years with Howard Jones

Howard Jones photo howard-jones_zps48eb38af.jpg

To help celebrate my birthday today, I thought I would post some music that really matters to me. In fact, I hope to be doing that all week long. Last night, I kicked the celebration off with a song from Raul Esparza, the man who is every bit as talented as he is sexy. This morning I reviewed a new album from Spencer Day, a man whose music I simply love. Tonight, I will look back 30 years to the year 1984, when I became enamored of the music by Howard Jones, the amazing British Electro-Pop singer/songwriter who managed to touch my soul time and time again.

Howard Jones photo howard_jones_05_zps55d3d249.jpg

In 1984, Jones released his debut album, 'Human's Lib', although the first single was released in the Fall of 1983. I am not sure how or where I found his music, be it on the radio, MTV, or U68, one of my favorite stations when living in New York City. But however it happened, I was instantly impressed by "New Song", off Howard's debut. It was so fun and upbeat, and just made my heart feel good. This is the official music video for "New Song" by Howard Jones.



While I loved 'Human's Lib', the follow-up album was just mind-blowing. 'Dream Into Action' was released in 1985, and had song after song that spoke to me. There was "Look Mama", "Life in One Day", and the gorgeous "No One is to Blame". I know this album drove me to see Jones live on several occasions, usually with my sister Kim. Howard was every bit as amazing live as in the studio, and it only made the album that much better. This is the official music video for "Things Can Only Get Better", Howard's first Top Five song in the Billboard Hot 100.



The following year, Howard released another album. 'One to One' hit the record stores in 1986. The first single was the eccentric "All I Want", which would have been enough to get me to purchase the album, if I wasn't already buying it because Howard was putting it out. That album also featured the lively single, "You Know I Love You, Don't You?" I loved the joyful and positive feel of the song, a real celebration of love. This is the official music video for Howard Jones' single, "You Know I Love You, Don't You?".



When the Seattle music scene and Grunge took over music in the 1990s, Howard's music took a back seat both in sales and record play. But it didn't stop me from following the man, and I am pleased to say he is still making music today. In fact, in 2009 he released the impressive album 'Ordinary Heroes', which rekindled my love for his music. Even before I heard it, I had pre-ordered, knowing Howard never let me down. That remained true, for I love the album. The single off the album truly touched my soul, and proved Jones still has what it takes to make music. This is the official music video for the first single off the album, "Soon You'll Go".



You can find the music of Howard Jones on iTunes and Amazon. CDs and DVDs are also available on Howard's online store. You can find the individual albums, as well as several compilation and live albums that have these songs included. To learn more about Howard Jones, visit his official website. You can also 'follow' him on Twitter or 'like' him on Facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails