Monday, May 26, 2014

Dark Monday • Gee, I Wish I Was Back in the Army

White Christmas - Gee I Wish I Was Back In The Army photo GeeIWishIWasBack002_zpsb468ea68.jpg
White Christmas - Gee I Wish I Was Back In The Army photo GeeIWishIWasBack004_zps7fbc956c.jpg White Christmas - Gee I Wish I Was Back In The Army photo GeeIWishIWasBack003_zps604af9e6.jpg

Today, I wish to post about music, and to celebrate Memorial Day, all in one fell swoop. While it might be hard to do, I figured out a way. Released almost 60 years ago, 'White Christmas' was more than just a holiday movie. The musical starring Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye, Rosemary Clooney and Vera-Ellen had music and lyrics by the great Irving Berlin also offered several salutes to the armed services, including one I simply love. Toward the end of the film, when the stars were performing in their play-within-the-movie motif, they sang the wonderful "Gee, I Wish I Was Back in the Army", both sweet and fun. This is the song from 'White Christmas'.



One of the first big production numbers in the movie features Crosby and Kaye joined by the rest of the army division singing a send off for their favorite general. The song is "The Old Man", once again written by Irving Berlin. As the General says his goodbyes, the soldiers all sing of their admiration of the man. This is "The Old Man" from 'White Christmas'.



Happy Memorial day, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails