Sunday, June 16, 2013

Their Heart Belongs To Daddy...

Lena Horne photo lena-horne_zps9fbccf44.jpg Ruth Wallis photo ruth_wallis_zps64c302bf.jpg
Etta James photo etta-james_zps36bc4dbf.jpg Julie London photo JulieLondon_zpsb9bebf3a.jpg
Clockwise: Lena Horne, Ruth Wallis, Julie London, and Etta James.

In my own way of wishing a very happy Father's Day to all those who are helping to raise children, I thought I would offer up a delectable plate of yummy treats. I will start with the song best known for it's saucy approach, written by the king a flirtation, Cole Porter, for the 1938 musical 'Leave It to Me!' This time, I thought it would be fun to include the gorgeous Lena Horne singng "My Heart Belongs To Daddy" to kick off the celebration.


In the 1950s, Ruth Wallis was known for her sexy, funny, and at times bawdy songs that were never light on the double-entendre. She never minded taking a little heat for her music, much of which she wrote herself. She often toyed with her audience, taking on taboos such as infidelity and homosexuality, long before it was acceptable. Enjoy Wallis as she sings her rather risqué song, "Long Playing Daddy".



Etta James is among the great Blues singers we have known, having made some great music during her career. Her recording of "At Last" quickly became a classic, as well as great Blues classics like "I'd Rather Go Blind". Here is her wonderful recording of "Good Rockin' Daddy", written by Richard Berry and Joe Josea which she released in the late 1950s.



There was just something so very sexy and sultry about Julie London, but she still appealed to women. I know my mother loved her, and had her records I would hear when I was young. So it was a no brainer for me to include her flirty version of "Daddy", a song written by her musical collaborator and husband Bobby Troupe.



Happy Father's Day to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails